- Old North Church is part of Converge Worldwide, also known as the Baptist General Conference. Please visit the Converge website for more information.
- The mission of Old North Church is to introduce Jesus Christ to all the people God calls us to serve so that together we can become his devoted followers.
- The vision of Old North Church is to be a Christ-centered, multi-generational community of disciple-making disciples.
- We work toward this vision by working out our core values of:
- Biblical preaching & teaching
- Personal & intentional discipleship
- Healthy children & families
Theology is not a dry, dogmatic system of religious thought. It is a conversation about God, the synergy of right belief and right practice. The following is a brief outline of our church’s core beliefs.
God is the Creator and Ruler of the universe. He is the One and True living God who has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God.
- Genesis 1:1, 26, 27; 3:22; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Cor. 13:14
Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.
- Matt. 1:22,23; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5; 14:10-30; Heb. 4:14, 15; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4; Rom. 1:3, 4; Acts 1:9-11; 1 Tim. 6:14, 15; Titus 2:13
- 2 Cor. 3:17; John 16:7-13; 14:16, 17; Acts 1:8; 1 Cor. 2:12; 3:16; Eph. 1:13; Gal. 5:25; Eph. 5:18
The Bible is God’s Word to us. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is The Truth without any mixture of error.
- 2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20, 21; 2 Tim. 1:13; Psalm 119:105, 160; 12:6; Prov. 30:5
People are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. People are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although every person has tremendous potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.” This attitude separates people from God and causes many problems.
- Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6; Rom. 3:23; Isaiah 59:1, 2
Salvation is God’s free gift to us but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. When we turn from our self-ruled life and turn to Jesus in faith we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his/her life by faith.
- Romans 6:23; Eph. 2:8, 9; John 14:6; 1:12; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Rom. 5:1
People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence.
- John 3:16; 14:17; Rom. 6:23; Rom. 8:17, 18; Revelation 20:15; 1 Cor. 2:7